The Life Science Innovator
A WBBA Publication
WBBA Industry Working Groups
Connect with your peers to meet the unique challenges your Organization faces.
(Open to ALL WBBA Members)
The goal of this group is to give people who are responsible for “getting the word out” for their respective organizations a closed-forum to discuss the unique issues, problems and challenges that face the people charged with fulfilling the role of communications, public relations, marketing, community outreach and investor relations, whether by specific title or by having it as one of their responsibilities. Join the group!
(Open to WBBA Core & Institution Member HR professionals)
You are invited to join over 60 of your HR colleagues from WBBA member companies, as we network, share ideas and exchange information about the challenges and issues we encounter while working in the biotechnology and biomedical fields. The Human Resources Group offers a variety of ways to connect with your colleagues. This is an excellent way to learn up-to-date information from professionals within our industry. You do not need to have an HR title in order to attend these meetings; you simply need to perform the human resources function for your company. Join the group!
Clean Science Group
(Open to any WBBA member interested in clean science and sustainability)
The goal of the WBBA Clean Science Group is to have a variety of representatives of the region's life science community dialoguing about solutions to minimize the impact of our scientific pursuits on the region. We also want to educate each other on the systems that are currently available to reduce, reuse, and recycle, and the associated costs of such systems. Are you interested in dialoguing about creating clean science? If so, then join the WBBA Clean Science Group on LinkedIn. We would like to have participation from various groups in the lab including facilities, operations, and lab managers. Join the group!
Supply Chain Group
(Open to WBBA Core & Institution Member Supply Chain/Purchasing professionals)
This group offers supply chain, purchasing, and sourcing professionals an opportunity to network and discuss the challenges they face and share best practices. If interested, please contact Blythe Price at firstname.lastname@example.org. Join the group!
(Open to WBBA Core & Institution Member Facilities/Engineering professionals)
This group offers Facilities and Engineering professionals an opportunity to network and discuss the challenges they face and share best practices. If interested, please contact Blythe Price at email@example.com. Join the group!
Return to top
Letter from the President
Another year is coming to an end, I can confidently say that this has been one of the most productive years at the WBBA!
Here are a few of our accomplishments and how we have been supporting our members and life sciences in Washington State this year:
- Life Science Innovation Northwest (LSINW) set numerous records this year, and is poised to be even bigger in 2014. LSINW is now North America’s largest fully integrated life science exposition!
- The WBBA’s Commercialization programs have now mentored and supported more than 230 unique start-up life science companies. They have raised more than $300 million, employ 500+ people, and approximately 25% have products in the market!
- WINGS and our VIP Forums continue to help our members raise $ millions and introduce them to potential partners and investors.
- We produced more than 40 events, where 5000+ life science executives networked with each other.
Our most recent Governor’s Life Science Summit & Annual Meeting featured Governor Inslee for his first presentation since being elected, and the 2013’s Innovation Award winner NanoString Technologies, and our Volunteer of the Year award winner, Andrew Serafini from Fenwick and West.
We also rolled out our latest Washington State Life Science Economic Impact Report. Life sciences continues to be one of our state’s largest and fastest growing job sectors, adding more than $18 Billion to Washington’s economy.
Also, if you did not receive our 2013 Annual Report, please click here to download a summary of 2013 at the WBBA!
- More than 200 member organizations saved more than $6 million, on purchases of more than $40 million through our 22 purchasing partners this year.
- And last but not least, for the first time in the 24 year history of the WBBA, we have exceeded 600 member organizations. We will end 2013 with more than 630 members! Thank you for your support and trust in us!
In 2013, we developed several new programs to help our members out, including:
- Hosting several CEO forums, including life sciences, healthcare IT and Eastern Washington CEOs coming together to discuss the challenges and opportunities to grow our life science ecosystem
- Expanding our support to help grow life sciences in Eastern Washington
- Expanding training courses to help our members develop additional skills in Six Sigma, ISO 13485 and the continuation of our very successful Lab to Leader training courses
In the event that you were not at our Annual Meeting, we rolled out our 10 year strategic vision and the paradigm called Middle Earth. Our goal by 2023 is for Washington State to be: The Global Leader in Life Science Innovation and Healthcare Delivery.
Make sure that you also check out our exciting 2014 activity calendar. You don’t want to miss any of the great events, or opportunities to network or to be a sponsor next year.
I would like to thank all of you for an outstanding 2013! Without our incredible members, the WBBA would not be able to provide the support that is contributing to one of Washington’s largest and fastest growing industries.
I look forward to seeing each of you in 2014. Stay tuned to additional events and activities by following us at www.washbio.org, or follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
Have a wonderful holiday season and a happy and prosperous New Year!
Return to top
Return to newsletter main page